Old 07-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Chuck

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
news:Spb9d.349109$Fg5.3157@attbi_s53...

snip

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.

Now this has been *years* ago when I was in Jr. High, but I remember my dad
getting a dump truck load of sand (?). Then good ol' Chuck would have to
carry the sand to the back yard using a wheelbarrow and spread it with a
shovel.

From there my dad got a cross tie and if I remember right, he hammered some
large nails in the bottom of the cross tie with about 1 or 2 inches hanging
out from the bottom, acting as a rake (?) and attached a rope to both ends
of the cross tie.. Again, good ol' Chuck would then pull the cross tie
around the yard like a mule spreading and leveling the sand.

This seemed to do the trick because to this day, the yard is level, other
than where the city came in and dug a hole in the yard.

---