Old 08-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Dr. Ellis D

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message .. .
I' m a possible botany major, and was wondering if anyone knew of good

websites out there, that can provide info/pictures of trees and shrubs.

(Iris Cohen) wrote:
Are you for real or a troll? We have a curmudgeon in this group who is

going to blast you for that question.

If you are serious and a college student, you need to learn how to use

your seach engine. I suggest you start by searching on the name of a
specific tree,

Phred schreef
True, to a point. But the poor bugger may not yet know about Latin
binomials.

***
A possible botany major surely has encountered binary names. Likely anybody
has who succesfully finished highschool or its equivalent
***

[An aside -- I heard the other day that some bloke is proposing some new

taxonomic system that isn't quite so much at the whim of professionals when
it comes to name changes. But the mate who mentioned it couldn't recall the
reference. :-( ]

***
This would not be the PhyloCode, an attempt at a nomenclatural system?
***

Frankly, I see nothing at all wrong with approaching a group of

self-declared "experts" in a newsgroup called sci.bio.botany and
asking for opinions about "good websites" as the OP wanted. What's
wrong with that? Why should *everyone* wade through all the crap out
there when there are people who do that sort of thing for a living and
can point you in the right direction?

If I'm crook, I don't go to the Internet, or even the local library,

looking for solutions at random. I go to the local quack for advice
and treatment by one who knows. (At least that's the theory.

***
The local quack would think poorly of anybody who kept bothering him for
bits of knowledge on medicine so as to become a doctor (unless that somebody
is very cute looking).
PvR

yeah, i didnt want to wade though crap, and didnt want google to be
the first place i looked, any blote can google the binomial, but i
thought there may be some kick ass botany sites out there, thanks.