Old 08-10-2004, 09:09 AM
kevin bailey

Hi Dimitris,

It really helps us if you can include an idea of your location in posts.

Pre-treatment can be in moist perlite, vermiculite, sphagnum moss, peat,
sharp sand etc. I do most of mine naturally, placing them in pots
outdoors, for frosts to do their magic. Some mesh to prevent them all
being eaten by rodents is helpful. If you don't get enough cold then
refrigeration will work better.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Hi,

I received some Bald Cypress and Chinese Elm seeds
through the post. The instructions said to soak them
in water for 24-48 hrs and then place them in the
refridgerator in moist vermiculite for 60 and 90 days
respectively.

However in my area I cannot find vermiculite. Will
perlite do ?
Any other alternative methods to germinate these 2
kinds of seeds ?

best regards,
Dimitris

---