Old 06-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Default [IBC] Santolina chamaecyparissus - Lavender Cotton

Hi all

as I was driving the other day, I saw a very small
tree (ca. 5 inches tall) and I stopped by to get it
out of the ground.
After repotting and watering, I started searching on
the net to find the name of the species and it turned
out to be a shrub, Lavender Cotton.

I think it makes excellent Bonsai, please have a look
on the following link to see what I mean

http://www.bonsaichat.com/galleryView.asp?picID=116

regards
Dimitris.

http://vote.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Jim Lewis

On 6 Oct 2004 at 0:09, Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:

Hi all

as I was driving the other day, I saw a very small
tree (ca. 5 inches tall) and I stopped by to get it
out of the ground.
After repotting and watering, I started searching on
the net to find the name of the species and it turned
out to be a shrub, Lavender Cotton.

I think it makes excellent Bonsai, please have a look
on the following link to see what I mean

http://www.bonsaichat.com/galleryView.asp?picID=116

regards
Dimitris.

I was unfamiliar with Santolina, but after looking it up, I
think you may have a nice potential bonsai there. They also
have flowers and according to my info, they bud back well from
old wood, which bodes well for pruning in the future.

The big pot you have it in is probably OK for a year or two
while it grows (18-inches is its maximum height), but you will
want to put int into a smaller pot.

Since this is a mediterranean shrub be careful that you do not
overwater. I'd imagine that it will not like wet feet.

Good luck with it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.
http://vote.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Hi,

I received some Bald Cypress and Chinese Elm seeds
through the post. The instructions said to soak them
in water for 24-48 hrs and then place them in the
refridgerator in moist vermiculite for 60 and 90 days
respectively.

However in my area I cannot find vermiculite. Will
perlite do ?
Any other alternative methods to germinate these 2
kinds of seeds ?

best regards,
Dimitris

http://vote.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-10-2004, 09:09 AM
kevin bailey

Hi Dimitris,

It really helps us if you can include an idea of your location in posts.

Pre-treatment can be in moist perlite, vermiculite, sphagnum moss, peat,
sharp sand etc. I do most of mine naturally, placing them in pots
outdoors, for frosts to do their magic. Some mesh to prevent them all
being eaten by rodents is helpful. If you don't get enough cold then
refrigeration will work better.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Hi,

I received some Bald Cypress and Chinese Elm seeds
through the post. The instructions said to soak them
in water for 24-48 hrs and then place them in the
refridgerator in moist vermiculite for 60 and 90 days
respectively.

However in my area I cannot find vermiculite. Will
perlite do ?
Any other alternative methods to germinate these 2
kinds of seeds ?

best regards,
Dimitris

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Thanks for the info Kevin

I live in Greece, it is still sunny at the moment
approx. 15-20 C, it falls to about 5C during the
winter (but with average humidity, not as in England,
and certainly no frosts). I think that I will place
the seeds in moist perlite and refridgerate them.

Dimitris---

http://vote.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Craig Cowing

Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:

Hi,

I received some Bald Cypress and Chinese Elm seeds
through the post. The instructions said to soak them
in water for 24-48 hrs and then place them in the
refridgerator in moist vermiculite for 60 and 90 days
respectively.

However in my area I cannot find vermiculite. Will
perlite do ?
Any other alternative methods to germinate these 2
kinds of seeds ?

best regards,
Dimitris

I don't know where you live, but in the US vermiculite is unavailable because
asbestos was found in vermiculite that was mined in one site, and nobody wants to
carry it for reasons of liability.

I can't comment on how to germinate these seeds. The reason for putting them in
the refridgerator is that they need what is called "stratification"--basically,
they need to winter over before germinating.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered User

Location: London, UK

Hiya,

Technically it's my boyfriend who's into bonsai (hey, it's indoor work with no heavy lifting...) but he keeps roping me in to help. Without digressing too much Santolina (Cotton Lavender, not Lavender Cotton ;( ) does indeed respond well to hard pruning... I've grown it in my garden for five years now and whilst I've seen mature specimens that are enormous, I keep mine relatively small (clipped to a ball about 1ft across) by just being really cruel and hacking it back to the woody stems whenever I think it's getting too big. It does have small yellow button flowers, which are about 1cm in diameter, but I'm not sure if it would flower if kept as a small bonsai - usually it flowers when the stems are about 20cm long, and the flowering stems are produced on the ends of these (just like lavender, in fact).
Hope this is helpful.

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis