Old 08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Jo

Wow... that is just amazing to see.... I am sorry I put it outside now.
I wish I had a terrarium set up to watch the big guy grow.
It truely is an amazing creature. I have seem some lovely insects /
creatures since I have moved here.

Thanks for the links Will.

Jo

"Will Cook" wrote in message
I think you got it right, Jo -- your photo looks like the caterpillar of
Giant Leopard Moth (Ecpantheria scribonia) to me. I saw one of these in
Chapel Hill recently. The adult is beautiful:
http://booksandnature.homestead.com/moth117.html
http://bugguide.net/node/view/493/bgimage

The Woolly Bear/Wooly Worm is the caterpillar of the Isabella Tiger Moth
(Pyrrharctia isabella or Isia isabella), famous as predictors of winter
weather:
http://www.almanac.com/preview2000/woollybears.html
http://www.cirrusimage.com/woolly_Bear_Caterpillar.htm
http://bugguide.net/node/view/539/bgimage
You see a lot of them crossing roads at this time of year.

They're related -- both are in the Arctiidae (Tiger Moth family). Some
people even use these cute fuzzy caterpillars as pets:
http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~oehlk...tiidaecare.htm

Will Cook
Durham NC
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/

Jo wrote:
Hi Jean,
It is either that or this one...My husband and I searched all night.
I was up all night myself and found this link as well.. so now I not

sure
ifi it is the wooly worm.
or this one.
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020608.html

What do you know about the wooly worm?

Jo

wrote in message

HI - I believe that is the elusive...............Woolly Worm! ; - D
Jean

Jo wrote:

At first I thought, oh look a cute huge bug!.. Then I took the picture

and

noticed the mouth on it, not so sweet maybe.
It is 3 1/2 inches long and as thick as my thumb if not thicker.
He has been nicely evicted outside, but haven't been able to find out

what

it is.

Anyone know it?

Jo