Old 08-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Jo

Default WHAT IS THIS!

At first I thought, oh look a cute huge bug!.. Then I took the picture and
noticed the mouth on it, not so sweet maybe.
It is 3 1/2 inches long and as thick as my thumb if not thicker.
He has been nicely evicted outside, but haven't been able to find out what
it is.

Anyone know it?

Jo

http://www.youpayless.com/gallery-al.../bigpillar.jpg

Old 08-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Jo

Hi Jean,
It is either that or this one...My husband and I searched all night.
I was up all night myself and found this link as well.. so now I not sure
ifi it is the wooly worm.
or this one.
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020608.html

What do you know about the wooly worm?

Jo

Old 08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Will Cook

I think you got it right, Jo -- your photo looks like the caterpillar of
Giant Leopard Moth (Ecpantheria scribonia) to me. I saw one of these in
Chapel Hill recently. The adult is beautiful:
http://booksandnature.homestead.com/moth117.html
http://bugguide.net/node/view/493/bgimage

The Woolly Bear/Wooly Worm is the caterpillar of the Isabella Tiger Moth
(Pyrrharctia isabella or Isia isabella), famous as predictors of winter
weather:
http://www.almanac.com/preview2000/woollybears.html
http://www.cirrusimage.com/woolly_Bear_Caterpillar.htm
http://bugguide.net/node/view/539/bgimage
You see a lot of them crossing roads at this time of year.

They're related -- both are in the Arctiidae (Tiger Moth family). Some
people even use these cute fuzzy caterpillars as pets:
http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~oehlk...tiidaecare.htm

Will Cook
Durham NC
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/

Old 08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Jo

Wow... that is just amazing to see.... I am sorry I put it outside now.
I wish I had a terrarium set up to watch the big guy grow.
It truely is an amazing creature. I have seem some lovely insects /
creatures since I have moved here.

Thanks for the links Will.

Jo

Old 08-10-2004, 09:15 PM

Wow! that is a beauty!!!!!
I only know what I have ben told by some folks we know in the mtns of NC -
that the wooly worms' bands(according to folk-lore)indicate how cold the
winter will be...i.e. the more Brown bands, the colder the winter!?! It's
always fun to find out new facts about different critters in nature! Maybe you
will come across another caterpillar so yo can obsesrve it's changes!!
Havae a good weekend!
Jean

Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Raleighgirl

"Will Cook" wrote in message
| I think you got it right, Jo -- your photo looks like the
caterpillar of
| Giant Leopard Moth (Ecpantheria scribonia) to me. I saw one of
these in
| Chapel Hill recently. The adult is beautiful:
| http://booksandnature.homestead.com/moth117.html
| http://bugguide.net/node/view/493/bgimage

Wonders never cease! About a month ago i found several pupae
just like in the picture! Only one of 4 catepillars were left
and he was black and shiny. i just assumed it was some type of
wooly worm and didn't think much more about it. Bravo Jo for
investigating and teaching us all a thing or two!
Jenny

Old 09-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Jo

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message
. com...

"Will Cook" wrote in message
| I think you got it right, Jo -- your photo looks like the
caterpillar of
| Giant Leopard Moth (Ecpantheria scribonia) to me. I saw one of
these in
| Chapel Hill recently. The adult is beautiful:
| http://booksandnature.homestead.com/moth117.html
| http://bugguide.net/node/view/493/bgimage

Wonders never cease! About a month ago i found several pupae
just like in the picture! Only one of 4 catepillars were left
and he was black and shiny. i just assumed it was some type of
wooly worm and didn't think much more about it. Bravo Jo for
investigating and teaching us all a thing or two!
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
I can't believe how beautiful they are, I am keeping my eye out for them now
so I can get some more photo's.
I should have known to just ask Will. He seems to know all the good stuff
about little creatures.

Jo

Old 09-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Raleighgirl

| Hi Jenny,
| I can't believe how beautiful they are, I am keeping my eye out
for them now
| so I can get some more photo's.
| I should have known to just ask Will. He seems to know all the
good stuff
| about little creatures.
|
| Jo

O yea, there are LOTS of very knowledgeable folks that follow
this ng! As always, thanks to all of you that impart wisdom all
of the time!
Jenny