Old 09-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Srgnt Billko

"PK" wrote in message
I wasn't brought up in these parts so I'm not altogether sure of the best
approach to this but I have a lot of bumps and hollows in my yard and I'd
like my lawn to be a lot smoother come next Spring.

Now, trying to excuse my ignorance of how to go about this ...

- I should do this in the Spring just as the grass is about to grow? or
before the frosts come?

- My soil is just normal Texas 'clay' with about 2 inches of sand that the
builders put down and then the 1-2 inches on the sod - should I be adding
topsoil to my entire yard if I can afford it? My Bermuda grass was fairly
good this year but a little patchy and very bumpy.

- Alternatively does a roller work well with repeated use?

- The important question - where does one get a few cubic yards of good
topsoil near Frisco, TX?

I'd try the original builer - who knows, he might just dump you a load. I
dump dirt on low spots all the time and don't bother with seed - the grass
just comes back up through the dirt.