Old 08-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Phisherman

On 7 Oct 2004 22:04:00 -0700, (Dan) wrote:

Hi,
I have recently moved into a new place in san diego with an empty fish
pond (6 x 4). I filled it up and put a few water plants in it. They
did great. Three weeks later, I put in some small comet goldfish.
They appear to be doing fine. BUT, I have noticed at times they are
at the surface not moving and what appears to be sucking up air. In
addition, since I put in the goldfish, there has been airbubbles
floating on the surface. I have caught the fish "burping" up these
bubbles. Not alot of bubbles, but bubbles that weren't there before I
added the fish. I have not done any water treatment nor do I have a
water filter. I am trying to do it natural. Are these normal
observations? Also, does anyone possibly have insight to the
reasoning behind my observations.

Thanks alot!!

Dan

It sounds like the water is stagnant. Add a fountain, aerator, or
filter with pump. If you don't want to add any of these options, at
least keep the fish population to a few small fish, stir the water by
hand to break the surface-growing bacteria, and be extra careful about
anything decaying in the water including unconsumed fish food. At
this point it will be good to hold back feeding for a few days until
the condition clears up.