Old 08-10-2004, 08:54 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have recently moved into a new place in san diego with an empty fish
pond (6 x 4). I filled it up and put a few water plants in it.
Three weeks later, I put in some small comet goldfish.
They appear to be doing fine. BUT, I have noticed at times they are
at the surface not moving and what appears to be sucking up air.
I have not done any water treatment nor do I have a
water filter. I am trying to do it natural. Are these normal
observations? Dan

Hi Dan,

For a natural pond, one should only add 2 goldfish for your size pond (they
will make extras) as there is not enough O2 & bacteria in a new pond to
support more. Do not feed. There will be enough in there for them, and you
don't want them growing fast or making too many fry that survive. The pond
will seek it's own balance, therefore if you put in too many, it will kill
them down to what it can support.

After 3 weeks I would think chloramines wouldn't be a problem. The chlorine
would be gone and the ammonia converted by bacteria and/or used by the
plants. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~