Old 09-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Jo

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message
. com...

"Will Cook" wrote in message
| I think you got it right, Jo -- your photo looks like the
caterpillar of
| Giant Leopard Moth (Ecpantheria scribonia) to me. I saw one of
these in
| Chapel Hill recently. The adult is beautiful:
| http://booksandnature.homestead.com/moth117.html
| http://bugguide.net/node/view/493/bgimage

Wonders never cease! About a month ago i found several pupae
just like in the picture! Only one of 4 catepillars were left
and he was black and shiny. i just assumed it was some type of
wooly worm and didn't think much more about it. Bravo Jo for
investigating and teaching us all a thing or two!
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
I can't believe how beautiful they are, I am keeping my eye out for them now
so I can get some more photo's.
I should have known to just ask Will. He seems to know all the good stuff
about little creatures.

Jo