Old 10-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Neil Tonks

"Double Digger" wrote in message
Hi,

I would welcome ideas for very low growing, ground covering evergreen
plants
for a north facing, open plan front garden. At the moment, the small area
is
covered with a layer of stone chippings which I would like to retain,
growing the plants dotted around with a view to them quickly covering the
whole area. A camomile lawn has been suggested.

Do you want to be able to walk on it? If so, there are relatively few plants
other than camomile (and grass!) which will fit the bill.

If however you just want it to be ornamental, then alpines would be my
choice. I'd go for low growing cushion-forming types such as saxifrage or
sedum, as there's less chance of these getting out of hand. The gravel will
look good around them, too, as would a few larger stones if you have (or can
get) these.

Neil.