Old 10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Double Digger

Default Ground Cover

Hi,

I would welcome ideas for very low growing, ground covering evergreen plants
for a north facing, open plan front garden. At the moment, the small area is
covered with a layer of stone chippings which I would like to retain,
growing the plants dotted around with a view to them quickly covering the
whole area. A camomile lawn has been suggested.

Thanks in advance for your help.

D.D.
---
My outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Version: 6.0.775 Virus Database: 522 / Release Date: 08/10/04

Old 10-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Neil Tonks

"Double Digger" wrote in message
Hi,

I would welcome ideas for very low growing, ground covering evergreen
plants
for a north facing, open plan front garden. At the moment, the small area
is
covered with a layer of stone chippings which I would like to retain,
growing the plants dotted around with a view to them quickly covering the
whole area. A camomile lawn has been suggested.

Do you want to be able to walk on it? If so, there are relatively few plants
other than camomile (and grass!) which will fit the bill.

If however you just want it to be ornamental, then alpines would be my
choice. I'd go for low growing cushion-forming types such as saxifrage or
sedum, as there's less chance of these getting out of hand. The gravel will
look good around them, too, as would a few larger stones if you have (or can
get) these.

Neil.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:41:38 +0100, "Double Digger"
wrote:

Hi,

I would welcome ideas for very low growing, ground covering evergreen plants
for a north facing, open plan front garden. At the moment, the small area is
covered with a layer of stone chippings which I would like to retain,
growing the plants dotted around with a view to them quickly covering the
whole area. A camomile lawn has been suggested.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vinca minor (periwinkle) isa low evergreen, spreading plant. It has
white, purple or blue flowers, If you really want to cover the area,
that will do it well.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Hi,

I would welcome ideas for very low growing, ground covering

evergreen plants
for a north facing, open plan front garden. At the moment, the

small area is
covered with a layer of stone chippings which I would like to

retain,
growing the plants dotted around with a view to them quickly

covering the
whole area. A camomile lawn has been suggested.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vinca minor (periwinkle) isa low evergreen, spreading plant. It has
white, purple or blue flowers, If you really want to cover the

area,
that will do it well.

I had thought of recommending this one as well. It is as hardy as
nails, spreads well and has dainty flowers. But make sure it is
*minor*. The ordinary periwinkle is probably too large a plant for
your purpose

Franz

Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 AM
ex WGS Hamm

wrote:

[...]

Isn't it odd. Periwinkle has such a dainty sweet sounding name whereas in
reality major is a thug. It's a bit like calling a rottweiler 'fluffy' :0)
I swear if I ever get a rottie I will call it 'fluffy' hehe.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Double Digger

Thanks for all your planting ideas for my north facing front garden. Apart
from an earlier suggestion of a camomile lawn, a trio of low growing
evergreen Cotoneasters have also been recommended. The pink flowering C.
congestus, C. dammeri with white flowers and C. microphyllus cochleatus.
They would help to discourage some people from using my open plan garden as
their right of way and with their red berries, give me some autumnal colour
too.

Thanks again,
D.D.
---
"Pam Moore" replied:

Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"Double Digger" wrote in message
Thanks for all your planting ideas for my north facing front garden.

Apart
from an earlier suggestion of a camomile lawn, a trio of low growing
evergreen Cotoneasters have also been recommended. The pink

flowering C.
congestus, C. dammeri with white flowers and C. microphyllus

cochleatus.
They would help to discourage some people from using my open plan

garden as
their right of way and with their red berries, give me some autumnal

colour
too.

That would be a good choice.

Franz

Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

whole area. A camomile lawn has been suggested.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vinca minor (periwinkle) isa low evergreen, spreading plant. It has
white, purple or blue flowers, If you really want to cover the

area,
that will do it well.

I had thought of recommending this one as well. It is as hardy as
nails, spreads well and has dainty flowers. But make sure it is
*minor*. The ordinary periwinkle is probably too large a plant for
your purpose

There is Rose of Sharon - Hypericon calycinum will do it well, but you'd
need several plants as it isn't really a rapidly-spreading plant.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "ex WGS Hamm" contains these words:

Isn't it odd. Periwinkle has such a dainty sweet sounding name whereas in
reality major is a thug. It's a bit like calling a rottweiler 'fluffy' :0)
I swear if I ever get a rottie I will call it 'fluffy' hehe.

Rottweilers are (In my experience) soft and cuddly, though if you had a
fluffy one you'd be worth a fortune.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

Hi,

I would welcome ideas for very low growing, ground covering
evergreen plants for a north facing, open plan front garden. At

the
moment, the small area is covered with a layer of stone chippings
which I would like to retain, growing the plants dotted around

with
a view to them quickly covering the whole area. A camomile lawn

has
been suggested.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vinca minor (periwinkle) isa low evergreen, spreading plant. It

has
white, purple or blue flowers, If you really want to cover the

area,
that will do it well.

There's a good variegated form, too, which will more light back. I
imagine anybody who's got it will be happy to hand over a fistful.

Mike.