Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM
San Diego Joe

"Dan" wrote:

Hi,
I have recently moved into a new place in san diego with an empty fish
pond (6 x 4). I filled it up and put a few water plants in it. They
did great. Three weeks later, I put in some small comet goldfish.
They appear to be doing fine. BUT, I have noticed at times they are
at the surface not moving and what appears to be sucking up air. In
addition, since I put in the goldfish, there has been airbubbles
floating on the surface. I have caught the fish "burping" up these
bubbles. Not alot of bubbles, but bubbles that weren't there before I
added the fish. I have not done any water treatment nor do I have a
water filter. I am trying to do it natural. Are these normal
observations? Also, does anyone possibly have insight to the
reasoning behind my observations.

Thanks alot!!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Always good to see a new ponder in San Diego.

When you added the water did you use dechlorinator? We have chloramines in
our water rather than just chlorine, so a dechlor is a must as far as I'm
concerned. While chlorine will dissipate over a brief time period,
chloramines, for all intents and purposes, does not. The chloramines will
inhibit the fish's ability to absorb oxygen through their gills. If you
haven't done it, go immediately and buy some.

Where in SD are you, maybe I can direct you to a source.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.