Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Rod Out back

"Geodyne" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:49:13 GMT, "Rod Out back"
wrote:

All,

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know

that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I

want
to switch 240v floodlights.

I may be mistaken Rod, but what you're looking for sounds to be a
combination light sensor/timer switch, *without* the motion sensor
portion that most garden floodlights have. I was under the impression
that they're fairly easy to buy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Geodyne

I think you're pretty close to the mark; most of the timer switches I have
seen have a day\night sensor in them. However, I havent yet found one that
is designed as a stand-alone unit that I can simply wire the light into.
All of the (very few) light sensors I have seen are either low voltage, or
built into a purpose-built setup (One of those little night-light units
would be an example).
I'm simply looking for a unit I can mount outside, that I can then run 240v
power to, and cables from that go to the light I want switched on at dusk.
The components barely take up the size of a 20-cent piece, but I cant for
the life of me find one for switching 240v.
I found an american unit that does exactly what I want. It's called a
heavy-duty outdoor light control, but it only switches 120v appliances.

If you do encounter the device you were talking about, would you let me
know? If there is something readily available, then I can sort this niggly
thing out...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back