Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Rod Out back

Default Exterior Floodlights & daylight switches

All,

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I want
to switch 240v floodlights.

I appreciate this isnt the right forum for such a question, but I got the
deafening wall of silence from the electronics newsgroup, and I wondered if
any of you have set these up to light a garden??

I have seen a bayonet light fitting to add to an exterior incandescant light
to do this(60w max), but nothing that I can have wired in to switch a larger
light (possibly max of 500W but I'm negotiable on wattage...). I also know
that these switches are VERY common in town lighting and some industrial
floodlighting as well. The design of such a switch has been around for many
years. However, trying to find such a beast in Australia for domestic use
seems nigh impossible.
I did find one for the US market, but it only works on 120v, which is
useless for me.

I use these floodlights in the summer months to keep the worst of the bitey
and REALLY annoying bugs out of the house. 3 or so lights strategically
placed are enough to take the worst out of the soldier beetles, assain bugs,
really little bitey things that go through gauze, and other annoying little
critters. It also makes a great feast for the sand-swimmers, frogs, insect
bats, and other night-time predators.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 12-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:49:13 GMT, "Rod Out back"
wrote:

All,

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I want
to switch 240v floodlights.

I may be mistaken Rod, but what you're looking for sounds to be a
combination light sensor/timer switch, *without* the motion sensor
portion that most garden floodlights have. I was under the impression
that they're fairly easy to buy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Geodyne
Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Rod Out back

wrote:

All,

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know

that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I

want
to switch 240v floodlights.

I may be mistaken Rod, but what you're looking for sounds to be a
combination light sensor/timer switch, *without* the motion sensor
portion that most garden floodlights have. I was under the impression
that they're fairly easy to buy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Geodyne

I think you're pretty close to the mark; most of the timer switches I have
seen have a day\night sensor in them. However, I havent yet found one that
is designed as a stand-alone unit that I can simply wire the light into.
All of the (very few) light sensors I have seen are either low voltage, or
built into a purpose-built setup (One of those little night-light units
would be an example).
I'm simply looking for a unit I can mount outside, that I can then run 240v
power to, and cables from that go to the light I want switched on at dusk.
The components barely take up the size of a 20-cent piece, but I cant for
the life of me find one for switching 240v.
I found an american unit that does exactly what I want. It's called a
heavy-duty outdoor light control, but it only switches 120v appliances.

If you do encounter the device you were talking about, would you let me
know? If there is something readily available, then I can sort this niggly
thing out...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 12-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Geodyne

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:13:09 GMT, "Rod Out back"
wrote:

If you do encounter the device you were talking about, would you let me
know? If there is something readily available, then I can sort this niggly
thing out...

I'm at work at the moment, but I'm sure that there's a German company
that make sensors of the kind you are thinking of. Unfortunately
they're not cheap, and as my sparky bought it for me, I'm not sure
they're available retail (but they're good - my leccy only buys the
best). What I will do when I get home is see what the brand name is
and get back to you.

Geodyne

Old 12-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Rod Out back

wrote:

If you do encounter the device you were talking about, would you let me
know? If there is something readily available, then I can sort this

niggly
thing out...

I'm at work at the moment, but I'm sure that there's a German company
that make sensors of the kind you are thinking of. Unfortunately
they're not cheap, and as my sparky bought it for me, I'm not sure
they're available retail (but they're good - my leccy only buys the
best). What I will do when I get home is see what the brand name is
and get back to you.

Geodyne

Many thanks, that would be greatly appreciated.

--

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 12-10-2004, 07:26 AM
gl

I'm pretty sure I saw a clipsal product that works like this.... I was
browsing around Cetnaj (electrical/lighting store in QLD) looking for motion
sensors, and I think I saw a small unit that would do what you're after.
Sorry, can't be more specific... but it would be a good idea to ask at your
local electrical/lighting store to at least get some idea of what's
available. Unfortunately I couldn't find what I was after (in the US, you
can buy regular looking lightbulbs that have a motion sensor and dusk sensor
built in, for about $10! Sadly nothing like that is available here yet.)

Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Ken Oaf

wrote:

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I want
to switch 240v floodlights.

Do you realise that having light all the time is bad for your plants?

Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Rod Out back

"Sprog" wrote in message
You can use a low wattage device to activate a relay to switch the higher
wattage device.

No doubt I can, and I have located an appropriate relay to do this part if
it's necessarry. However, the only 240V day\night switch unit I have seen
for sale in Australia is this complete unit that fits into an incandescant
light bulb socket (bayonet fitting) and switches the connected light bulb.
I would prefer something a little simpler than this arrangement, and I would
prefer to not have to wire up a light socket and a relay and then
weatherproof the box to mount the thing in. The few day\night switches I
have seen are already weatherproof, and it would be far simpler to find one
of those for sale. Also, I suspect my electrician will baulk at anything to
complicated...

All I am looking for is a simple day\night switch that I can then connect
the power in and power out cables to. Surely, such a component exists...

Actually, I have found the component in question, but I would have to buy a
timer as well. It comes as part of a 2-module set. Unfortunately, I have
no use for the timer, but I wonder if they can supply the daylight sensor
module on its own.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

All,

Old 12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Rod Out back

wrote:

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know

that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I

want
to switch 240v floodlights.

Do you realise that having light all the time is bad for your plants?

I wasnt planning on mounting the floodlights near any plants. One will be
over outside our machinery shed, one outside our office building where the
cars park, and probably one outside the laundry somewhere. All far away
from plants.

Having said that, the floodlight in the garden that is filling in for the
time being doesnt seem to be causing any grief. AND, the insects it attracts
is feeding one (very fat) willy-wagtail, 3 white-plumed honeyeaters, a
squadron of apostle birds, a few sand-swimmers, and a few green tree frogs.

I have dependants...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Andrew G

"Rod Out back" wrote in message
All,

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I

want
to switch 240v floodlights.

We had a light put outside our machinar shed at work. I noticed a switch on
it that could change it from motion to "night". Wondering what night meant I
asked a fellow worker who installed it. Apparently designed to come on when
darkness comes. So they are available and while I not sure if 500w bulbs are
set in it, the typical looking outdoor sensor light bulbs are in it, so they
are available.
Failing that, why not use a timer if it is hard to get/expensive to
purchase?
Good luck

Old 13-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Rod Out back

"Andrew G" wrote in message
news

[...]

Andrew, big ask, but you dont have a brand on the part that has the switch,
do you? 500w bulbs are easy to get around, but it is a hard slog to find a
daylight switch. I did track one down, but it has the daylight switch as an
included part in a timer switch designed to go into a DIN-style switchboard.
I dont think they are interested in selling just the daylight switch part,
and at $340 each, it puts paid to buying any.

I'll keep looking at various sensor lights to see if I have missed one that
has a daylight switch included.

Any brand info you might find would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 16-10-2004, 02:51 AM
BCL

wrote:

Looking to set up some permanent exterior floodlights. However, I would
like to have them switch off at sunrise, and back on at dusk. I know that
nearly every solar or 12v system seems to come with this option, but I want
to switch 240v floodlights.

We use them at work and I think they have a name like Lumatrol but if
you go to an electrical supplier (ie one for electricians not a
department store) they will be able to tell you exactly what you
need.

Regards
Bruce

4/5 way electrical switches foz Ponds 4 18-09-2013 05:39 AM
Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (andmissing o-rings) Danny D.[_5_] Gardening 20 28-06-2013 03:44 AM
Wiring circuit for starter interlock switches on flail mower Richard Savage[_2_] Gardening 7 17-06-2012 12:47 PM
Has anyone tried Fluorex floodlights? Joflo Orchids 2 02-11-2003 06:22 PM
"daylight" Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 24-09-2003 08:04 PM