Old 12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
David Hare-Scott

"MM" wrote in message
: hi all
:
: what should the pH be for a vegatable patch?
: i'm getting pH5 at the moment
:
:
: TIA
: Mike
:
:

It depends on what veges you are growing . As others have said, slightly
acid (about 6 - 6.5) suits many but some would like it where you are (eg
rhubarb) but most would like it less acid. At pH 5 you will not get 100%
out of the lime-loving (pH 7 to 8) types. Such a asparagus, beets,
celery, lettuce, onion, spinach and most brassicas.

If taking this very seriously we are advised to keep different beds to suit
the various requirements, or better still rotate beds and adjust the pH as
you go. If this is all too much and you only have one bed I would be adding
some garden lime and raising the pH to about 6.5.

David