Old 11-10-2004, 08:29 AM
MM

Default soil pH?

hi all

what should the pH be for a vegatable patch?
i'm getting pH5 at the moment

TIA
Mike

Old 11-10-2004, 08:57 AM
len gardener

supposed to be neutral which is around 5.5 to 6.5 i think so you will
be pretty close, me i don't worry about that side of things anymore i
just plant 'em and water 'em and they grow, too easy

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:06 AM
blank

"len gardener" wrote in message
supposed to be neutral which is around 5.5 to 6.5 i think so you will
be pretty close, me i don't worry about that side of things anymore i
just plant 'em and water 'em and they grow, too easy

no, neutral is 7.0 but 5.5 to 6.5 is ideal for most plants

Old 12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
David Hare-Scott

"MM" wrote in message
: hi all
:
: what should the pH be for a vegatable patch?
: i'm getting pH5 at the moment
:
:
: TIA
: Mike
:
:

It depends on what veges you are growing . As others have said, slightly
acid (about 6 - 6.5) suits many but some would like it where you are (eg
rhubarb) but most would like it less acid. At pH 5 you will not get 100%
out of the lime-loving (pH 7 to 8) types. Such a asparagus, beets,
celery, lettuce, onion, spinach and most brassicas.

If taking this very seriously we are advised to keep different beds to suit
the various requirements, or better still rotate beds and adjust the pH as
you go. If this is all too much and you only have one bed I would be adding
some garden lime and raising the pH to about 6.5.

David

Old 12-10-2004, 10:06 AM
blank

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
: hi all
:
[...]

I agree with all the above, but would need to be convinced that the pH
reading is correct before liming. Unless you are using a meter that you are
certain has been properly calibrated and you have taken multiple samples and
then followed the correct procedure for measurement, pH readings can be very
misleading. For example if the soil is too dry you will not get a correct
reading. There are lots of pitfalls with pH measurement, and it is easy to
be led up the garden path by single or false readings.

Measuring pH and EC is, in my opinion, quite useful. I spend about two days
per month taking these measurements at work, and then, if necessary, liming
to correct low pH. But from my experience, there is more to it than just
chucking a bit of lime about. Much more.

Old 15-10-2004, 12:12 AM
David Hare-Scott

"blank" wrote in message
:
::
: I agree with all the above, but would need to be convinced that the pH
: reading is correct before liming. Unless you are using a meter that you
are
: certain has been properly calibrated and you have taken multiple samples
and
: then followed the correct procedure for measurement, pH readings can be
very
: misleading. For example if the soil is too dry you will not get a correct
: reading. There are lots of pitfalls with pH measurement, and it is easy
: be led up the garden path by single or false readings.
:

You are assuming the use of a meter. A dye indicator system is more
reliable, doesn't need to be callibrated and the soil moisture at the time
is not significant. The OP didn't say what they are using IIRC. I agree
that taking several measurements is quite important before rushing off to
make changes.

David

Old 15-10-2004, 06:12 AM
MM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"blank" wrote in message
:
::
[...]

I have boosted the pH to 6.7

thanks for all the information

mike

Old 16-10-2004, 09:46 AM
ellipsis

In article , MM
wrote:

hi all

what should the pH be for a vegatable patch?
i'm getting pH5 at the moment

TIA
Mike

Out of curiosity, where are you, and what sort of soil are you on to
have a pH that low?

Here in Perth, I am sticking vast amounts of manure into the ground and
throwing blood and bone around with abandon to bulk up the soil/sand
and try to get the pH down a bit.
Old 21-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Chookie

In article , "MM"
wrote:

what should the pH be for a vegatable patch?
i'm getting pH5 at the moment

Take a couple more measurements first in various spots. If they still come
out at that pH, start adding lime/dolomite along with compost to improve soil
structure. Most vegies like a pH of 6-7, some even more alkaline than that.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 21-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Chookie

In article , ellipsis
wrote:

Out of curiosity, where are you, and what sort of soil are you on to
have a pH that low?

I'm guessing the east.

Here in Perth, I am sticking vast amounts of manure into the ground and
throwing blood and bone around with abandon to bulk up the soil/sand
and try to get the pH down a bit.

Under the Perth sand, you have limestone, so your soils tend to be alkaline.
IIRC most of Oz tends to be acidic.