Old 12-10-2004, 10:06 AM
blank

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
: hi all
:
: what should the pH be for a vegatable patch?
: i'm getting pH5 at the moment
:
:
: TIA
: Mike
:
:

It depends on what veges you are growing . As others have said, slightly
acid (about 6 - 6.5) suits many but some would like it where you are (eg
rhubarb) but most would like it less acid. At pH 5 you will not get 100%
out of the lime-loving (pH 7 to 8) types. Such a asparagus, beets,
celery, lettuce, onion, spinach and most brassicas.

If taking this very seriously we are advised to keep different beds to

suit
the various requirements, or better still rotate beds and adjust the pH as
you go. If this is all too much and you only have one bed I would be

adding
some garden lime and raising the pH to about 6.5.

David

I agree with all the above, but would need to be convinced that the pH
reading is correct before liming. Unless you are using a meter that you are
certain has been properly calibrated and you have taken multiple samples and
then followed the correct procedure for measurement, pH readings can be very
misleading. For example if the soil is too dry you will not get a correct
reading. There are lots of pitfalls with pH measurement, and it is easy to
be led up the garden path by single or false readings.

Measuring pH and EC is, in my opinion, quite useful. I spend about two days
per month taking these measurements at work, and then, if necessary, liming
to correct low pH. But from my experience, there is more to it than just
chucking a bit of lime about. Much more.