Old 12-10-2004, 01:46 PM
J. Del Col

(J. Del Col) wrote in message om...
" I jnow these plants have some pretty stinky flowers but just how
bad are
they really? Bad enough to draw tremendous swarms of flies and knock you
out at 10 feet or mild as in you have to put your nose right into the flower
to smell it?

It depends on the species and the size of the plant. I used to
frequent a large greenhouse which had a huge specimen of -Stapelia
grandiflora- in a hanging basket.

When it was in full bloom, the flowers filled the place with the
stench of ripe roadkill. It was awesome.

After further reflection and a look at some references, I realized
that the plant in the greenhouse was actually -Stapelia gigantea-, a
real stinker.

J. Del Col