Old 12-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Shell

I have since found that out. Every fly for 10 miles is in my yard, and just
one flower has opened out of 8 buds. the opened flower seems to have been
pollinated so I'm going to let it develope and see what happens. Meanwhile
I am seriously thinking of pruning the rest of the buds.

Shell

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
(J. Del Col) wrote in message

om...
" I jnow these plants have some pretty stinky flowers but just how
bad are
they really? Bad enough to draw tremendous swarms of flies and knock

you
out at 10 feet or mild as in you have to put your nose right into the

flower
to smell it?

It depends on the species and the size of the plant. I used to
frequent a large greenhouse which had a huge specimen of -Stapelia
grandiflora- in a hanging basket.

When it was in full bloom, the flowers filled the place with the
stench of ripe roadkill. It was awesome.

After further reflection and a look at some references, I realized
that the plant in the greenhouse was actually -Stapelia gigantea-, a
real stinker.

J. Del Col

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (