Old 13-10-2004, 09:29 PM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
so i may get rid of fruit flies and find i have a dingo family move in
instead huh lol???

Think this through fully, Len. The diesel deters fruit flies but
attracts feral dogs and pyromanics. The dogs deter the pyromanics,
but attract blowflies. And where there are flies, they'll attract
frogs and lizards. But as you know, frogs always attract snakes.
Now, to escape the dogs, the snakes take to the branches. But snakes
in the branches of a tree are a well-known way to keep thieving birds
away from your fruit. So I think your diesel wicks idea could be sold
to the home gardener as a combination fruit-fly & bird deterrent!!

yeh lots put their traps in the fruit trees they are trying to
protect, neve knew burk'y had it in him to get one right now huh
chuckle?

One year I made a few of the fruit-fly traps using vegemite and ammonia,
and hung them in a couple of plum trees. Whenever I examined the catch,
the fruit-flies were all female. I have wondered whether there would be
a homemade remedy that would catch the males, too. I'm an equal-
opportunity trapper.