Old 14-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Pam - gardengal

"paul" wrote in message
om...
I forgot to mention that I live in the Northwest.

Thanks,
Paul
(Paul) wrote in message

. com...
I have a mound in my yard that currently is about 2/3 covered with
this plant. I have taken a shovel and dug out chunks of existing
vinca and replanted it in the bare areas.

My question is what type of fertilizer should I use for the newly
planted vinca. What type of fertilizer should I use for the existing
plant to make it spread more quickly.

Thanks,
Paul

None and none :-) Vinca requires no addtional fertilizer to encourage
spread, only time and attention, and the only newly planted items requiring
fertilizing is grass seed.

Fertilizer is not intended to encourage rapid plant growth, which is
generally undesireable anyway - it is intended to provide nutrients which
may be missing from the soil. There is no need to apply fertilizer unless
your plants indicate they are suffering from a nutrient deficiency and you
have had your soil tested to assess nutrient levels. If your soil is of good
quality and amended or topdressed regularly with organic matter, your
fertilizing needs should be minimal.

pam - gardengal