Old 14-10-2004, 06:46 PM
nonews

Perhaps, but there are variables in trying to save the tree. A lot depends
on the size of the chain and how much of it is visible and the age of the
bark. Buy or borrow a pair of bolt cutters. There are different sizes of
bolt cutters. Try cutting each chain link in 2 or more places. If the
chain is near the surface you may be able to release the constriction by
removing the connection between the adjoining links. Caution, if the back
side of a link is buried deeply do not remove it. This would cut the bark
and girdle the tree but if left in place the bark may just grow over the
piece of chain.

Depending on the age of the tree bark you could bridge graft over the chain.
I have read about this but have never tried it in a girdle situation. This
graft is best on young bark. I have used a form of bridge grafts to join
limbs on trees.

Try the bolt cutters first. Repost if you want more on bridge grafts.

"Paul Falstad" wrote in message
m...
Hello, one of our boxelder trees had a dog chain tied around the tree
by the previous owner, and the chain became embedded in the tree. The
tree looks kinda sickly but is still alive. Is there a way to remove
the chain and save the tree?