Old 14-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Paul Falstad

Default saving a girdled tree?

Hello, one of our boxelder trees had a dog chain tied around the tree
by the previous owner, and the chain became embedded in the tree. The
tree looks kinda sickly but is still alive. Is there a way to remove
the chain and save the tree?
Old 14-10-2004, 06:46 PM
nonews

Perhaps, but there are variables in trying to save the tree. A lot depends
on the size of the chain and how much of it is visible and the age of the
bark. Buy or borrow a pair of bolt cutters. There are different sizes of
bolt cutters. Try cutting each chain link in 2 or more places. If the
chain is near the surface you may be able to release the constriction by
removing the connection between the adjoining links. Caution, if the back
side of a link is buried deeply do not remove it. This would cut the bark
and girdle the tree but if left in place the bark may just grow over the
piece of chain.

Depending on the age of the tree bark you could bridge graft over the chain.
I have read about this but have never tried it in a girdle situation. This
graft is best on young bark. I have used a form of bridge grafts to join
limbs on trees.

Try the bolt cutters first. Repost if you want more on bridge grafts.

m...

Old 14-10-2004, 08:46 PM
SVTKate

Wow, coming from lumber country the first thing that came to my mind was
"What if he gets it healed and then when it's old and has to be cut down,
someone hits one of those bits of chain with a chainsaw."

It could be a very dangerous situation.

Kate
PS: Hope you get your tree healed, it's a shame that people let things like
that happen to trees. Just imagine the poor dog that was tied there all
those years

.. .

Old 15-10-2004, 03:59 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Paul Falstad" wrote in message
m...
Hello, one of our boxelder trees had a dog chain tied around the tree
by the previous owner, and the chain became embedded in the tree. The
tree looks kinda sickly but is still alive. Is there a way to remove
the chain and save the tree?

It's a box elder, for heaven's sake! Not a tree worth saving. Weedy, seeds
freely, has brittle wood and is plagued by insect problems.Get rid of it and
replant with a tree that is not so problematic and more attractive.

http://www.treeguide.com/Species.asp?SpeciesID=91

Be sure to note the last paragraph

pam - gardengal

Old 17-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Paul Falstad

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, it's actually more of a cable or
line, not a chain.. No links. The cable is buried in the bark and
almost completely invisible. I can't get at it without cutting the
bark. I was thinking it might be possible to cut through the bark in
one or two places to cut the cable. I could leave the tree alone, but
it seems sickly, and our tree trimmer told us it would not recover. I
could cut it down (I'm leaning in that direction), but it is very tall
and helps to block our view of the neighbors. Thanks again.

Old 19-10-2004, 11:36 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Do not remove the chain!
Just cut it back close to the trunk without wounding the trunk.
Remember we must not just treat the wound but the entire tree.
Where do you live?
I may know someone good in your area I could recommend

--
My name is John A. Keslick, Jr. and I am from the Philadelphia area. I am a
TREE BIOLOGIST and a WRITER. I would like to become involved in

---------------------------------------LINKS---------------------
TECHNO TREE BIOLOGY DICTIONARY online at
http://www.treedictionary.com

Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/SHIGO
Announcing the release of a 2-CD set by DR. SHIGO
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/CDS1.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

About me - Some of my educational activities I have enjoyed are here
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/educat.html