Old 14-10-2004, 08:46 PM
SVTKate

Wow, coming from lumber country the first thing that came to my mind was
"What if he gets it healed and then when it's old and has to be cut down,
someone hits one of those bits of chain with a chainsaw."

It could be a very dangerous situation.

Kate
PS: Hope you get your tree healed, it's a shame that people let things like
that happen to trees. Just imagine the poor dog that was tied there all
those years

"nonews" wrote in message
.. .
| Perhaps, but there are variables in trying to save the tree. A lot
depends
| on the size of the chain and how much of it is visible and the age of the
| bark. Buy or borrow a pair of bolt cutters. There are different sizes of
| bolt cutters. Try cutting each chain link in 2 or more places. If the
| chain is near the surface you may be able to release the constriction by
| removing the connection between the adjoining links. Caution, if the back
| side of a link is buried deeply do not remove it. This would cut the bark
| and girdle the tree but if left in place the bark may just grow over the
| piece of chain.
|
| Depending on the age of the tree bark you could bridge graft over the
chain.
| I have read about this but have never tried it in a girdle situation.
This