Old 14-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
Can anyone tell me what Puakinikini is in English or Latin? We have
one of my nieces staying with my daughter at the moment and she has
lived for some years in Hawaii where this was one of her favourite
plants. My daughter would like to find it and keep it in her
conservatory for her cousin's visits! All I know about it is that

it
seems to be creamy white, jasmine-ish in shape of flower, used in
leis and very highly scented. Thank you!

Phew! Not surprised if you didn't find through Google: it seems the
proper spelling is "puakenikeni", and nearly all the many hits are
irrelevant. They don't even seem to agree on a Latin name, either, or
if they do, they don't agree how to spell it. It looks as though
there are at least two plants of the name. One, _Fagraea potaliaceae_
(which doesn't look right to me) gets to 40' high; while the other
?_Fagarea berteriana_? only reaches 7'. I gave up before getting to
any cultural advice or European sup-pliers; but I didn't search under
the Latin name.

Mike.