Old 14-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Sacha

Default Hawaiian plant name

Can anyone tell me what Puakinikini is in English or Latin? We have one of
my nieces staying with my daughter at the moment and she has lived for some
years in Hawaii where this was one of her favourite plants. My daughter
would like to find it and keep it in her conservatory for her cousin's
visits! All I know about it is that it seems to be creamy white,
jasmine-ish in shape of flower, used in leis and very highly scented. Thank
you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
Can anyone tell me what Puakinikini is in English or Latin? We have
one of my nieces staying with my daughter at the moment and she has
lived for some years in Hawaii where this was one of her favourite
plants. My daughter would like to find it and keep it in her
conservatory for her cousin's visits! All I know about it is that

it
seems to be creamy white, jasmine-ish in shape of flower, used in
leis and very highly scented. Thank you!

Phew! Not surprised if you didn't find through Google: it seems the
proper spelling is "puakenikeni", and nearly all the many hits are
irrelevant. They don't even seem to agree on a Latin name, either, or
if they do, they don't agree how to spell it. It looks as though
there are at least two plants of the name. One, _Fagraea potaliaceae_
(which doesn't look right to me) gets to 40' high; while the other
?_Fagarea berteriana_? only reaches 7'. I gave up before getting to
any cultural advice or European sup-pliers; but I didn't search under
the Latin name.

Mike.

Old 15-10-2004, 09:17 AM
jane

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:21:49 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

~Can anyone tell me what Puakinikini is in English or Latin? We have one of
~my nieces staying with my daughter at the moment and she has lived for some
~years in Hawaii where this was one of her favourite plants. My daughter
~would like to find it and keep it in her conservatory for her cousin's
~visits! All I know about it is that it seems to be creamy white,
~jasmine-ish in shape of flower, used in leis and very highly scented. Thank
~you!

Heh. I think know the one. Frangipani.
Otherwise known as plumeria.

If I could grow it here, I would. They get about 2m tall but are not
frost hardy at all. Beautiful scent!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 15-10-2004, 09:18 AM
jane

wrote:

~Can anyone tell me what Puakinikini is in English or Latin? We have one of
~my nieces staying with my daughter at the moment and she has lived for some
~years in Hawaii where this was one of her favourite plants. My daughter
~would like to find it and keep it in her conservatory for her cousin's
~visits! All I know about it is that it seems to be creamy white,
~jasmine-ish in shape of flower, used in leis and very highly scented. Thank
~you!

ooops! following up on my last post, the bushes are small when they
start to flower but I forgot they can get to be rather large trees!

http://sd1new.net/GardenPages/plumeria.htm

will help.

--
jane