Old 14-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Sacha

On 14/10/04 9:45, in article , "David"
wrote:

Thanks, Sacha and Mike,

I've enough space to try Rhamnus alaternus so I'll have a look for a
stockist. My location is in East Lothian on the south east coast of
Scotland. The hedge in fact is on the west of my garden, so in winter it
gives a lot of shade to the bottom of the garden, frost can be an occasional
problem. I'm not certain if a camellia would survive. Hadn't thought about
planting clematis, that's an interesting idea!

Check out the Rhamnus *very* carefully, given your location. My husband
isn't at all sure that my varietal suggestions will survive with you but
our experience is Devon and Essex and in my case, Jersey. One can push the
luck quite a bit but......... ;-) In an ideal world, I'd say give it a try
but purses and possibilities will dictate for most of us.
There's a Rhamnus dahurica that a nursery in Inverness has. We don't know
this variety at all so ask the nursery: Iain Brodie of Falsyde, Cuilalunn,
Kinchurdy Road, Boat of Garten, Invernessshire, Tel. 01479 831464 and
email:
Another thought for a small tree which blooms late here and smells delicious
is Clerodendrum trichotomum (var. fargesii) We have one of those growing
on a boundary wall and it's a beautiful shape and a really lovely small
tree. Again, do a local check, though the RHS book says it can go to -15 C
(5F)! It's a fabulous plant, IMO and I can't imagine why it isn't grown
more widely.

Camellias are fully to frost hardy so again (sorry to be so repetitive) you
need to check what will grow in your area. This, BTW, is why newcomers to
the group are so often asked for their location or what they grow already.
It makes it easier to recommend the right thing.

snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk