Old 15-10-2004, 06:12 AM
MM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"blank" wrote in message
:
::
: I agree with all the above, but would need to be convinced that the pH
: reading is correct before liming. Unless you are using a meter that you
are
: certain has been properly calibrated and you have taken multiple samples
and
: then followed the correct procedure for measurement, pH readings can be
very
: misleading. For example if the soil is too dry you will not get a

correct
: reading. There are lots of pitfalls with pH measurement, and it is easy
: be led up the garden path by single or false readings.
:

You are assuming the use of a meter. A dye indicator system is more
reliable, doesn't need to be callibrated and the soil moisture at the time
is not significant. The OP didn't say what they are using IIRC. I agree
that taking several measurements is quite important before rushing off to
make changes.

David

I have boosted the pH to 6.7

thanks for all the information