Old 15-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Tim Tyler

Janet Baraclough.. wrote or quoted:

You do cut off runners, but it's also common practice to burn, or cut
off and remove, all that season's leaves in late summer (commercial
growers often burn). It kills spores of botrytis and fungal infections,
and removes most of the dead-leaf shelter where woodlice and slugs might
over-winter/breed.

Goodness!

The only pest problem I /really/ know I have with old strawberry
leaves is with a green silky leaf-curling caterpillar.

I feel bad enough destroying the leaves thus infected. It would take
some pretty dramatic signs of pests to make me torch whole plants!
--