Old 14-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Dave Henry

Default Help with strawberries

At the end of August, the strawberries having finished fruiting, and the
leaves looking a bit on the sorry side, I cut back all the growth and
thought that the plants were now prepared for next years growth. They are
now as large and leafy as they were before I cut them back. Do I cut them
back again?

Thanks for any response.

Dave Henry.

Old 14-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Robert

Dave Henry wrote:
: At the end of August, the strawberries having finished fruiting, and
: the leaves looking a bit on the sorry side, I cut back all the growth
: and thought that the plants were now prepared for next years growth.
: They are now as large and leafy as they were before I cut them back.
: Do I cut them back again?
:
: Thanks for any response.
:
: Dave Henry.

that's the trouble doing things by the book lol. I wouldn't trim at all but
now I would just leave them be

Old 14-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Tim Tyler

Dave Henry wrote or quoted:

At the end of August, the strawberries having finished fruiting, and the
leaves looking a bit on the sorry side, I cut back all the growth and
thought that the plants were now prepared for next years growth. They are
now as large and leafy as they were before I cut them back. Do I cut them
back again?

Excuse my ignorance - but I thought you cut off the runners - and left
everything else alone.

Why would cutting off the leaves be a good idea? Wouldn't that just
hamper the plant's development?
--
__________
Old 14-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Robert

Tim Tyler wrote:
: Dave Henry wrote or quoted:
:
:: At the end of August, the strawberries having finished fruiting, and
:: the leaves looking a bit on the sorry side, I cut back all the
:: growth and thought that the plants were now prepared for next years
:: growth. They are now as large and leafy as they were before I cut
:: them back. Do I cut them back again?
:
: Excuse my ignorance - but I thought you cut off the runners - and left
: everything else alone.
:
: Why would cutting off the leaves be a good idea? Wouldn't that just
: hamper the plant's development?

The experts say that cutting off the foliage at the end of the season helps
to stop any disease etc., taking a hold, but I'm with you on this one

Old 14-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Sarah Dale

Dave Henry wrote:
At the end of August, the strawberries having finished fruiting, and the
leaves looking a bit on the sorry side, I cut back all the growth and
thought that the plants were now prepared for next years growth. They are
now as large and leafy as they were before I cut them back. Do I cut them
back again?

Dave,

Don't do anything to them now. The increasingly cold weather will stop
any further growth, and they'll be ready to get away as soon as the
weather warms up next year. I deal with my strawberries this way, and
they produce good crops.

Sarah

Old 14-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Dave Henry

"Robert" wrote in message
Tim Tyler wrote:
: Dave Henry wrote or quoted:
:
:: At the end of August, the strawberries having finished fruiting, and
:: the leaves looking a bit on the sorry side, I cut back all the

Snip

The experts say that cutting off the foliage at the end of the season

helps
to stop any disease etc., taking a hold, but I'm with you on this one

Thanks Robert.
Being new to strawberries, I must admit I went
by the book, on the basis of - "When in doubt, look it up".
In future I will consult the newsgroup. Thanks
again.

Dave.

Old 15-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Tim Tyler

Janet Baraclough.. wrote or quoted:

You do cut off runners, but it's also common practice to burn, or cut
off and remove, all that season's leaves in late summer (commercial
growers often burn). It kills spores of botrytis and fungal infections,
and removes most of the dead-leaf shelter where woodlice and slugs might
over-winter/breed.

Goodness!

The only pest problem I /really/ know I have with old strawberry
leaves is with a green silky leaf-curling caterpillar.

I feel bad enough destroying the leaves thus infected. It would take
some pretty dramatic signs of pests to make me torch whole plants!
--