Old 16-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Potato Rock Dan

I get 40-50 inches of rain in an average year, and I have never had to
do anything to retain soil moisture at all, although cultivation is an
excellent strategy which I've used on summer crops. I don't deep
cultivate because I have a deep sandy loam which garlic and gophers
both seem to love.

(Toby) wrote in message . com...
How much precipitation do you get? Do you deep plough, or cultivate to
retain soil moisture?

(Potato Rock Dan) wrote in message . com...
I have done it for years here in northwest California, and it is very
possible. In fact, there is no need to irrigate garlic at all in our
climate because the time the Garlic needs water is during our rainy
season, and the time the bulbs are drying down, June-July are
ordinarily completely dry. I plant in October (I better get on it!)
and harvest in July. The only problem I have are gophers, which must
be trapped vigilantly if you got 'em. I hope this helps.
Dan