Old 16-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Joan

Default A budding spike broke during shipping

I ordered my very first orchid, an orange Epidendrum Orchid from Smith
and Hawken. When it arrived, I noticed that a tiny spike with
clustered buds had broken off from the tallest stem with a four-inch
long spike (there are three other stems, much shorter and no spikes).
Smith and Hawken will send me another orchid. But meanwhile, what do I
do with the long healthy spike from which the buds had broken off? Do
I cut it back or let it turn brown?

During my google search I've noticed that many websites don't mention
an Epidendrum orchid when they explain on how to grow different types
of orchids. Is Epidendrum in the same family as the Cattleya?

-Joan