Old 17-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Andrew G

"ellipsis" wrote in message

On that note, when would be the best time to try to strike cuttings,
and how easy is it?

I've heard the best time is the week between Christmas and New Year, goes
with Camellias too.
But there's no harm in trying now, just don't go spending hours doing a lot
of cuttings in case they don't work.
It's as simple as taking a cutting anywhere from 10cm to 20 cm long, the
bottom cut just below a node, the top just above a node, remove bottom 2/3rd
of leaves off it, use some rooting hormone (powder from Kmart will do),
place in a good quality potting mix, or seed raising mix and keep moist. If
in an area where it gets filtered light or under shade cloth, or an area
where it won't get too hot, but gets light, put a upturned cut off soft
drink bottle over the top to simulate a mini glasshouse.
One thing I've learnt is when doing cuttings you can try almost anytime the
plant is actively growing, or about to start growing, and they can survive
not quite "textbook procedures".
Good luck

Thanks