Old 14-10-2004, 06:53 AM
DD

Default Azaleas

My Azaleas have now finished flowering, is it the right time to trim
them for shape? I usually try to keep them compact by removing the lanky
branches but have forgotten when to do it!

DD

Old 14-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Ken Oaf

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:24 +1000, DD wrote:

My Azaleas have now finished flowering, is it the right time to trim
them for shape? I usually try to keep them compact by removing the lanky
branches but have forgotten when to do it!

Yes, get stuck into them now. While you are there, give them some cow manure
and some Osmacote Plus. ;-)

Old 15-10-2004, 07:07 AM
ellipsis

In article , Ken Oaf
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:24 +1000, DD wrote:

My Azaleas have now finished flowering, is it the right time to trim
them for shape? I usually try to keep them compact by removing the lanky
branches but have forgotten when to do it!

Yes, get stuck into them now. While you are there, give them some cow manure
and some Osmacote Plus. ;-)

On that note, when would be the best time to try to strike cuttings,
and how easy is it?

Thanks
Old 15-10-2004, 07:30 AM
DD

I have had a lot of success striking cuttings at various times
throughout the year and in view of the fact that you may be trimming the
plants at this time you will have some ready made cuttings. I cut the
stem of the cutting back to a node where the leaves have been removed,
dip the end of the cutting in honey and remove some of the remaining
leaves [use scissors], before putting them into a good quality potting
mix or peat. Up to six cuttings about 150mm long fit well into a 150mm
pot, plant them round the edges and don't let them dry out. Works for me!!

DD

Old 17-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Andrew G

"ellipsis" wrote in message

On that note, when would be the best time to try to strike cuttings,
and how easy is it?

I've heard the best time is the week between Christmas and New Year, goes
with Camellias too.
But there's no harm in trying now, just don't go spending hours doing a lot
of cuttings in case they don't work.
It's as simple as taking a cutting anywhere from 10cm to 20 cm long, the
bottom cut just below a node, the top just above a node, remove bottom 2/3rd
of leaves off it, use some rooting hormone (powder from Kmart will do),
place in a good quality potting mix, or seed raising mix and keep moist. If
in an area where it gets filtered light or under shade cloth, or an area
where it won't get too hot, but gets light, put a upturned cut off soft
drink bottle over the top to simulate a mini glasshouse.
One thing I've learnt is when doing cuttings you can try almost anytime the
plant is actively growing, or about to start growing, and they can survive
not quite "textbook procedures".
Good luck

Thanks