Old 17-10-2004, 03:01 AM
wendy7

Hi Frank, Good advice from Ray as always.
Here is a url for aluminet etc.
http://www.cloudtops.com/greenhouse_...h_aluminet.htm
I have shade cloth over most of the back yard & here in S.Cal we
use 65% & in the heat of summer it really helps, about a 10dg. difference.
Your best bet is to ask other hobbyists in your area what they use.
I had some pieces custom made will have to find the company, was pre
computer period at the time. If you are interested, email me & I will
get the name & address etc.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Ray wrote:
Frank,

The degree of shade, and how much of the GH needs to be covered is
determined a lot by what kind of plants you have, in addition to your
location.

Here in SE PA, for example, I use my ascocendas and vandas as shade
for the plants below, adding nothing more. If I had all phals, I'd
probably go with some shade cloth.

You might want to consider aluminet - aluminized mylar - as it
reflects the heat away in summer, while black and green cloths absorb
light more and reradiate heat.

.
"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
Hello Orchid Friends-

I am about to order new shade cloth for the greenhouse. I live in
Coastal SE Virginia where we have temperate winters and hot sultry
summers. The greenhouse has a direct, unshaded in winter, southern
exposure. The current shade cloth is 78% lathe and the greenhouse
needs more light especially as we move into the winter months. The
back wall of the greenhouse is a cinderblock wall with a lean to
type greenhouse attached to it and resting on a three foot
foundation. Suggestions regarding the best density shade cloth
and/or reasonable quality distributors would be appreciated.

Hope the Florida folks are recovering from all the terrible weather
and that all are enjoying a peaceful and wonderful fall.

Thanks.

--
Frank H. Kirchner