Old 16-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default shade cloth

Hello Orchid Friends-

I am about to order new shade cloth for the greenhouse. I live in Coastal
SE Virginia where we have temperate winters and hot sultry summers. The
greenhouse has a direct, unshaded in winter, southern exposure. The current
shade cloth is 78% lathe and the greenhouse needs more light especially as
we move into the winter months. The back wall of the greenhouse is a
cinderblock wall with a lean to type greenhouse attached to it and resting
on a three foot foundation. Suggestions regarding the best density shade
cloth and/or reasonable quality distributors would be appreciated.

Hope the Florida folks are recovering from all the terrible weather and that
all are enjoying a peaceful and wonderful fall.

Thanks.

--
Frank H. Kirchner

Old 17-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Ray

Frank,

The degree of shade, and how much of the GH needs to be covered is
determined a lot by what kind of plants you have, in addition to your
location.

Here in SE PA, for example, I use my ascocendas and vandas as shade for the
plants below, adding nothing more. If I had all phals, I'd probably go with
some shade cloth.

You might want to consider aluminet - aluminized mylar - as it reflects the
heat away in summer, while black and green cloths absorb light more and
reradiate heat.

..

Old 17-10-2004, 03:01 AM
wendy7

Hi Frank, Good advice from Ray as always.
Here is a url for aluminet etc.
http://www.cloudtops.com/greenhouse_...h_aluminet.htm
I have shade cloth over most of the back yard & here in S.Cal we
use 65% & in the heat of summer it really helps, about a 10dg. difference.
Your best bet is to ask other hobbyists in your area what they use.
I had some pieces custom made will have to find the company, was pre
computer period at the time. If you are interested, email me & I will
get the name & address etc.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

.

Old 19-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

[...]

Source for shade canopies and shade cloth [email protected] North Carolina 0 06-05-2005 09:08 PM
Shade Cloth for Tomatoes? James Cubby Culbertson Gardening 6 22-03-2004 08:32 AM
shade cloth bb Orchids 16 05-11-2003 11:12 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM