Old 17-10-2004, 04:51 AM
John Crichton

Not to rain on your parade but you are way late to plant fescue in
Massachusetts. You should be planting in early September or even late
August. If you are lucky the seed will survive through the winter and
sprout in the spring. If you are unlucky it will simply rot between now
and then.

If nothing germinates (which unfortunately is likely) you can wait until
spring and sow new seed. Wait until the nighttime temps are no lower
than 50F then sow your fescue.

Good luck,

William W. Plummer wrote:
Chet Hayes wrote:

GFRfan wrote in message

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use
salt during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are
some weeds that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a
grass that will do the same.

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood
and plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.

If you're looking for traditional turf grass, then tall fescue,
creeping fescue, and bermuda grass are among the most salt tolerant.
Blue grass is more adversely affected by salt.

I'm a big fan of tall fescue. In fact, I just scraped up the weeds and
planted tall fescue this morning. Ask me in the spring how it survived.