Old 15-10-2004, 02:59 PM
William W. Plummer

Default Salt-resistant grass seed?

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some weeds
that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that will do
the same.
Old 16-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Peter H

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some weeds
that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that will do
the same.

where abouts do you live?

Peter H
Old 16-10-2004, 02:32 AM
GFRfan

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some weeds
that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that will do
the same.

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood and
plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.
Old 16-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Chet Hayes

GFRfan wrote in message ...
William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some weeds
that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that will do
the same.

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood and
plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.

If you're looking for traditional turf grass, then tall fescue,
creeping fescue, and bermuda grass are among the most salt tolerant.
Blue grass is more adversely affected by salt.
Old 16-10-2004, 10:27 PM
William W. Plummer

Peter H wrote:

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some
weeds that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that
will do the same.

where abouts do you live?

Peter H

Mass. but the problem exists wherever it snows.

Old 16-10-2004, 10:29 PM
William W. Plummer

Chet Hayes wrote:

GFRfan wrote in message ...

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some weeds
that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that will do
the same.

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood and
plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.

If you're looking for traditional turf grass, then tall fescue,
creeping fescue, and bermuda grass are among the most salt tolerant.
Blue grass is more adversely affected by salt.

I'm a big fan of tall fescue. In fact, I just scraped up the weeds and
planted tall fescue this morning. Ask me in the spring how it survived.
Old 16-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Chet Hayes wrote:

GFRfan wrote in message

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt
during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some
weeds that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that
will do the same.

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood and
plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.

If you're looking for traditional turf grass, then tall fescue,
creeping fescue, and bermuda grass are among the most salt tolerant.
Blue grass is more adversely affected by salt.

I'm a big fan of tall fescue. In fact, I just scraped up the weeds and
planted tall fescue this morning. Ask me in the spring how it survived.

That would be interesting since tall fescue requires warmer soil temps than
rye or bluegrass to establish.
Old 17-10-2004, 04:51 AM
John Crichton

Not to rain on your parade but you are way late to plant fescue in
Massachusetts. You should be planting in early September or even late
August. If you are lucky the seed will survive through the winter and
sprout in the spring. If you are unlucky it will simply rot between now
and then.

If nothing germinates (which unfortunately is likely) you can wait until
spring and sow new seed. Wait until the nighttime temps are no lower
than 50F then sow your fescue.

Good luck,

William W. Plummer wrote:

Old 17-10-2004, 05:13 PM
William W. Plummer

William W. Plummer wrote:

Chet Hayes wrote:

GFRfan wrote in message

William W. Plummer wrote:

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use
salt during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are
some weeds that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a
grass that will do the same.

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood
and plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.

If you're looking for traditional turf grass, then tall fescue,
creeping fescue, and bermuda grass are among the most salt tolerant.
Blue grass is more adversely affected by salt.

I'm a big fan of tall fescue. In fact, I just scraped up the weeds
and planted tall fescue this morning. Ask me in the spring how it
survived.

Some of the tall fescue I planted about a month ago has sprouted.
Except for one cold night, the daytime temps have been in the 60's and
70's. I figure the seed is getting a bit old but I'm not sure when I
bought it. So, I might as well plant it and hope it grows.
Old 17-10-2004, 06:13 PM
John Crichton

William W. Plummer wrote:

Chet Hayes wrote:

GFRfan wrote in message

William W. Plummer wrote:

[...]

Anything you planted a month ago will most likely make it. What you
want is for the seed to germinate and become somewhat established before
you have a hard freeze.

Just another word of advice. It looks like you are posting with your
real email address. Unfortunately there are spammers who run automated
programs (bots) that do nothing but comb through usenet newsgroups
looking for email addresses to add to their email list. Posting with
your real address generally results tons of unwanted spam. You either
need to mangle your email address (like
) or just invent a bogus address
(like
).