Old 17-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Janet

Jerry I overwinter both plants you mentioned. Last year I re-potted and I
was not happy with the way they came through the winter, even though I
potted with Miracle Grow potting soil. It was just too hard to keep then
contantly moist with the heat on. This year I pulled them from the pond,
de-bugged them and hosed the pots off. I then placed then inside another pot
and added water.I will add some miracle Grown once a month or so. Before
this house I always overwintered them by placing them in their pots in an
aquarium. No more aquarium here so I'm back to standing water, just slightly
better looking! ;o) The biggest problem was finding pots with no holes in
them.
Janet in rainy Niagara Falls, zone 6b

--

"JJ" wrote in message
With frost advisory due soon, does anyone have a suggestions on
overwintering "Umbrella Palm" which is a beautiful plant about 5' tall and
Papyrus Palm which is also very healthy about 4' tall. Both are in pots
that I think may be too small now and would like to bring them indoors for
the winter and be able to enjoy them.
Do I place them a pot placed in a water tray or simply repot them in
larger
pot and keep them well watered and fertilized.

Thoughts anyone?
Jerry