Old 17-10-2004, 03:51 AM
JJ

Default Over Wintering

With frost advisory due soon, does anyone have a suggestions on
overwintering "Umbrella Palm" which is a beautiful plant about 5' tall and a
Papyrus Palm which is also very healthy about 4' tall. Both are in pots
that I think may be too small now and would like to bring them indoors for
the winter and be able to enjoy them.
Do I place them a pot placed in a water tray or simply repot them in larger
pot and keep them well watered and fertilized.

Thoughts anyone?
Jerry

Old 17-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Janet

Jerry I overwinter both plants you mentioned. Last year I re-potted and I
was not happy with the way they came through the winter, even though I
potted with Miracle Grow potting soil. It was just too hard to keep then
contantly moist with the heat on. This year I pulled them from the pond,
de-bugged them and hosed the pots off. I then placed then inside another pot
and added water.I will add some miracle Grown once a month or so. Before
this house I always overwintered them by placing them in their pots in an
aquarium. No more aquarium here so I'm back to standing water, just slightly
better looking! ;o) The biggest problem was finding pots with no holes in
them.
Janet in rainy Niagara Falls, zone 6b

Old 17-10-2004, 05:20 AM

in a pot with water over teh top of the pot. in a south facing window. change the
water out maybe once every couple weeks. a little liquid food too. Ingrid

"JJ" wrote:

With frost advisory due soon, does anyone have a suggestions on
overwintering "Umbrella Palm" which is a beautiful plant about 5' tall and a
Papyrus Palm which is also very healthy about 4' tall. Both are in pots
that I think may be too small now and would like to bring them indoors for
the winter and be able to enjoy them.
Do I place them a pot placed in a water tray or simply repot them in larger
pot and keep them well watered and fertilized.

Thoughts anyone?
Jerry

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 17-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Taro is fairly easy to store in a pot of dirt, I would have thought, that can dry out and cope with frost free storage as a tuber.... or you could bring it in and grow it as a potted houseplant

Umbrella palm does not make a tuber to speak of, it does have resilient roots which don't tolerate drying out. Umbrella palm grows real easy in water alone if you perk it with a change of water now and then. A handfull of dirt would be adequate to supply some fertility. All you need to bring in are several well rooted sprigs, just watch them go, go, go...

Both are tolerant of poor light levels, though don't be surprised if umbrella palm grows to massive proportions when it has settled indoors... it grows very, very big in shady conditions...

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
Old 18-10-2004, 12:10 AM
JJ

Thanks for all the great advice.
Think I'll place the pots in plastic buckets and keep the water in the
plastic buckets changed weekly and see what happens.
Didn't know if they could tolerate being kept out of water or not. Guess
not.

Thanks
Jerry

Old 18-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Derek Broughton

JJ wrote:

With frost advisory due soon, does anyone have a suggestions on
overwintering "Umbrella Palm" which is a beautiful plant about 5' tall and
Papyrus Palm which is also very healthy about 4' tall. Both are in pots
that I think may be too small now and would like to bring them indoors for
the winter and be able to enjoy them.
Do I place them a pot placed in a water tray or simply repot them in
larger pot and keep them well watered and fertilized.

Yes! :-) Either one worked for me.
--
derek

Old 18-10-2004, 10:49 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

JJ wrote:
overwintering "Umbrella Palm"

Because Umbrella Palm grows so well, I only bring in about a quarter of the
plant, about 8 stalks. I plant in a mesh pot with big rocks to keep it
up-right. It winters great by an east winter, low light. This summer, those
8 stalks, became a huge plant that the root ball busted the 10"X10" mesh
basket.

Papyrus Palm

I don't do this one, the pollen makes me itch, but I know it can be winter
similar to the above. Neither plant is very bug proned.

Someone mentioned Taro. I've found them more touchy, the Imperial winters
great similar to the Umbrella, but the black magic and violet stem
varieties need more sunlight and artifical light, and even then barely make
it thru the winter. They need to be treated for both aphids and spider
mites.

The 55 gallon aquarium I just set up recently is proving to possibly be a
great place to winter some of these plants, but not in it. I didn't put
gravel in the bottom and I have a strong 3 tube light hood, aquarium sits
on an open wrought iron stand. I've got all this great light below it. Like
double bonus. So I'm hoping some of the smaller plants will winter
underneath. Should be interesting. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 18-10-2004, 10:49 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

JJ wrote:
[...]

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
over-wintering floaters and little bugs J. LaQuiere Ponds 12 14-02-2004 07:17 AM
Wintering over shallow ponds NJ Ponds 3 31-08-2003 11:02 PM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM