Old 17-10-2004, 02:16 PM
David Hill

Default O.T. another bird question

Whilst picking the last of my beans the other day I could hear a tapping
coming from the hedge in bursts of 3 to 5 taps at the time.
I thought it might be a Nuthatch, but on slowly going towards the hedge I
finally saw the culprit.
It was a Great tit holding a nit in one foot and pecking to try to get
through the shell. After a couple of minutes, it moved a few feet to another
set of twigs taking the nut with it and then tried again.
Altogether I saw it move five times, always taking its nut with it. In the
end I gave up watching and left it to it.
I am wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries