Old 17-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Narthecium

Similarity between this species and the European Lathraea squamaria is striking!

http://www.gartendatenbank.de/pflanzen/lathraea/004.htm

http://www.grzyby.pl/rosliny/gatunki..._squamaria.htm

(David Hamilton Cox) wrote in message ...
Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany
Subject: Another Flower ID Request (Virginia)

Yes, it is indeed Monotropsis odorata. In fact, the "Manual of the
Vascular Flora of the Carolinas" mentions an M. odorata var. lehmaniae,
which flowering period (Sept-Nov) and lack of odor matches up to
the specimen I found. Thanks for the help! I feel a little chagrined
that I didn't think to check the Monotropa, or rather thought of it
and didn't pursue it (the Monotropsis appears right after the
Monotropa in the reference mentioned above). The lack of green on
the plant should have encouraged me to check that out. Oh well.

Thanks again!

-David Cox