Old 18-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Phisherman

On 18 Oct 2004 06:04:45 -0700, (Mary) wrote:

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

My hydrangea is very large--4 or 5 feet. I still use chicken wire
around it and fill with leaves to completely cover it. If I don't
protect it, it certainly will not bloom. I'd think you could use
burlap instead of the chicken wire, but still fill it with leaves.
Mulching helps the plant, although that won't protect the buds needed
for next year's blooms.