Old 20-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Sacha

Default David Hill and his Dahlia!

David, I'm writing this to urg rather than emailing because I think it is
potentially of general interest. When you visited us you gave us a Dahlia
which you thought was D.imperialis but said you weren't sure. So - we have
D. imperialis already and have had it confirmed as such by a couple of
reliable sources.
The plant you gave us is *much, much* more interesting and more beautiful.
Our D. imperialis grows very tall and even in our garden and not in a glass
house will reach about 6 to 8' but the flower is really rather dull and is
reluctant outdoors. In a glass house it will got to more than 17' and flower
at the very top.
Your gift has been knocked down by the wind but we estimate it would go to
around 8' and it has a beautiful double pink flower on it right now. It
seems to be a much less grudging flowerer than the D. imperialis we had. So
- the next major question is, do you think this is D. imperialis Roezl, by
any chance? Does that strike a chord with you? If it is, or whatever it
is, I think you have a gem of a plant.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk