Old 20-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Sacha

Default David Hill and his Dahlia!

David, I'm writing this to urg rather than emailing because I think it is
potentially of general interest. When you visited us you gave us a Dahlia
which you thought was D.imperialis but said you weren't sure. So - we have
D. imperialis already and have had it confirmed as such by a couple of
reliable sources.
The plant you gave us is *much, much* more interesting and more beautiful.
Our D. imperialis grows very tall and even in our garden and not in a glass
house will reach about 6 to 8' but the flower is really rather dull and is
reluctant outdoors. In a glass house it will got to more than 17' and flower
at the very top.
Your gift has been knocked down by the wind but we estimate it would go to
around 8' and it has a beautiful double pink flower on it right now. It
seems to be a much less grudging flowerer than the D. imperialis we had. So
- the next major question is, do you think this is D. imperialis Roezl, by
any chance? Does that strike a chord with you? If it is, or whatever it
is, I think you have a gem of a plant.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Well the cutting Ray gave me of your one has been outside since and survived
all winters so far as dormant tubers, at the moment only one trunk survives
this year as the others were broken down by strong winds. It's about 8ft
tall as it is every year and is still growing slowly, never a sign of a
flower. Makes an excellent large tropical like foliage plant for the back of
the border such that a neighbour has asked me for a cutting.
Now if David has one that actually flowers too..... is it available David?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-10-2004, 05:34 PM
David Hill

Sacha wrote ".........Your gift has been knocked down by the wind but we
estimate it would go to around 8' and it has a beautiful double pink flower
on it right now. ......."

Glad to hear it's done well, we will have to swap cuttings, I have one that
has reached 8 to 9ft outside and has semi double purple flowers about 5
inches across.
All I have been able to find out about them is that they are supposed to be
Hybrid Tree dahlias.
I will post a picture on alt binary.pictures.gardens if and when I can take
one, that is if there is anything left of the plants.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries