Old 16-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Gene Schurg

Joan,

Unfortunately there is no magic bullet to save the spike. If it is not
completely severed from the plant you could try to put a wire splint in the
pot and tie the spike to the splint.

If this won't work cut it off where the spike is broken and it may send out
another branch if there are buds below the break that are sleeping. I don't
think Epi's normally have branching spikes so I doubt you will get another
branch on this plant.

Otherwise, give it lots of light and care for it appropriately and you
should enjoy blooms in the future.

It is very difficult to ship orchids in spike and bloom. At least S&H will
send you another plant to enjoy.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Joan" wrote in message
I ordered my very first orchid, an orange Epidendrum Orchid from Smith
and Hawken. When it arrived, I noticed that a tiny spike with
clustered buds had broken off from the tallest stem with a four-inch
long spike (there are three other stems, much shorter and no spikes).
Smith and Hawken will send me another orchid. But meanwhile, what do I
do with the long healthy spike from which the buds had broken off? Do
I cut it back or let it turn brown?

During my google search I've noticed that many websites don't mention
an Epidendrum orchid when they explain on how to grow different types
of orchids. Is Epidendrum in the same family as the Cattleya?

-Joan