Old 15-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Ray

Having been bitten by a spider (I don't recall the particular kind that was
the bad guy) and ending up in the hospital for a couple of weeks as a
result, I can certainly understand Tennis' concerns.

As to their and the bees' apparent "attraction" to him, that is not all that
unusual, it applies to lots of insects, including mosquitoes, and has
variably been attributed to an individuals metabolism or diet. Some folks
are just better targets than others.

Tennis: FWIW, I find that a soap solution with added alcohol will kill
them - that's one of the reasons I concocted "Rise & Shine."

..
"tennis maynard" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Saitman wrote:
"They bite me and the dogs, too."

many people think this however there are only a few species that can
break
our skin
blackwidow
hobo
brown recluse
orb
and a few others depending where you live in the USA

however if they were really biting you, you would probably end up in the
hospital on a regular basis as all the ones mentioned have a very
powerful
bit save for the black widow, it is more like a bee sting.

i suspect you are having a reaction to fleas or psocid's or perhaps
mosqitoes maybe even spring tails

As I have actually seen a spider bite me, I think I know when I say 'they
bite me and the dogs.' This reminds me of those who insist bees are not a
danger and they will leave you alone. Bees and wasps and hornets for some
reason are attracted to me (all my life) and will in fact chase me down
and sting me if I do not escape or kill them. This has happened many
times. Folks shouldn't always be so sure of what they think they know. It
is a larger more diverse world than at first apparent.

We have rather large spiders all around the outside of the house (about
3/4- 1" in body length not including the legs) I have not been able to
identify from the pics I see on the web, partially because I can't get a
good look at them as they won't hold still and are seen mostly at night.
They are aggressive and charge at me. I am afraid they will come in. We
also have quite a few funnel web spiders in and around the orchids outside
which are now coming in (problem!). I have found that they do in fact bite
humans, in addition to the smaller beige ones we usually have in the
house.

So I don't want them to be in the house. I want them gone or dead. No ifs,
ands, or buts. But I have to be concerned about the dogs and the plants in
the process.