Old 08-10-2004, 01:23 AM
tennis maynard

Default Spider control

I haven't gotten any helpful replies from the AOS forum, so I'm hoping
maybe someone here can help. I'm going to have a crawl space under the
plants in the small growroom which I need to use for storage, and we
already have a spider problem to the extent that we have to bomb twice a
year (this growroom is on the basement level with my den and bedroom).
Is there any way I can control what will inevitably be an infestation in
the storage area, and either keep spiders out or kill them (mothballs?,
etc) without harming my orchids?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 AM
K Barrett

http://www.pestproducts.com/spider.htm

http://vava.essortment.com/spidercontrol_ofv.htm

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500561.html

http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/spi..._bronners.html

http://friends.cgnet.com/hhhh/misc/spidermansong.html

Or try anti-spidey sense.

K Barrett

Old 09-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Ford Prefect

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:38:56 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

http://www.pestproducts.com/spider.htm

http://vava.essortment.com/spidercontrol_ofv.htm

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500561.html

http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/spi..._bronners.html

http://friends.cgnet.com/hhhh/misc/spidermansong.html

Or try anti-spidey sense.

K Barrett

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
.. .
I haven't gotten any helpful replies from the AOS forum, so I'm hoping
maybe someone here can help. I'm going to have a crawl space under the
plants in the small growroom which I need to use for storage, and we
already have a spider problem to the extent that we have to bomb twice a
year (this growroom is on the basement level with my den and bedroom).
Is there any way I can control what will inevitably be an infestation in
the storage area, and either keep spiders out or kill them (mothballs?,
etc) without harming my orchids?

Might be a stupid question but why kill the spiders? surely they keep
other bugs in check.
Ford (very amateur orchid grower and Arachnid keeper)
Old 10-10-2004, 05:09 AM
tennis maynard

Ford Prefect wrote:

Might be a stupid question but why kill the spiders? surely they keep
other bugs in check.
Ford (very amateur orchid grower and Arachnid keeper)

They bite me and the dogs, too.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:12 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Try Terminex or Orkin. They're in the phonebook. It works for me and I
have a house full of orchids in window sills and under lights on three
levels. They spray in the same room as the plants and no problem whatsoever
for the last 15 years.
They are just a phone call away!
Garland

Old 12-10-2004, 05:55 PM
tennis maynard

Jim Saitman wrote:
"They bite me and the dogs, too."

many people think this however there are only a few species that can break
our skin
blackwidow
hobo
brown recluse
orb
and a few others depending where you live in the USA

however if they were really biting you, you would probably end up in the
hospital on a regular basis as all the ones mentioned have a very powerful
bit save for the black widow, it is more like a bee sting.

i suspect you are having a reaction to fleas or psocid's or perhaps
mosqitoes maybe even spring tails

As I have actually seen a spider bite me, I think I know when I say
'they bite me and the dogs.' This reminds me of those who insist bees
are not a danger and they will leave you alone. Bees and wasps and
hornets for some reason are attracted to me (all my life) and will in
fact chase me down and sting me if I do not escape or kill them. This
has happened many times. Folks shouldn't always be so sure of what they
think they know. It is a larger more diverse world than at first apparent.

We have rather large spiders all around the outside of the house (about
3/4- 1" in body length not including the legs) I have not been able to
identify from the pics I see on the web, partially because I can't get a
good look at them as they won't hold still and are seen mostly at night.
They are aggressive and charge at me. I am afraid they will come in. We
also have quite a few funnel web spiders in and around the orchids
outside which are now coming in (problem!). I have found that they do in
fact bite humans, in addition to the smaller beige ones we usually have
in the house.

So I don't want them to be in the house. I want them gone or dead. No
ifs, ands, or buts. But I have to be concerned about the dogs and the
plants in the process.

Old 14-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Kenni Judd

Tennis: On the subject of being concerned about the orchids while you kill
the spiders -- whether or not they're biting you [and I assume you WOULD
know G], they are obviously eating SOMETHING -- and that something may be
an orchid pest. So I hope whatever you use to kill the spiders also kills
their prey.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 15-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Ray

Having been bitten by a spider (I don't recall the particular kind that was
the bad guy) and ending up in the hospital for a couple of weeks as a
result, I can certainly understand Tennis' concerns.

As to their and the bees' apparent "attraction" to him, that is not all that
unusual, it applies to lots of insects, including mosquitoes, and has
variably been attributed to an individuals metabolism or diet. Some folks
are just better targets than others.

Tennis: FWIW, I find that a soap solution with added alcohol will kill
them - that's one of the reasons I concocted "Rise & Shine."

..

Old 15-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Ray

Jim Saitman wrote:
[...]

Garden spider (warning: contains spider) Mad Cow Garden Photos 1 28-09-2012 11:45 AM
Spider control = how? n0sPaM Lawns 13 06-09-2009 12:41 PM
Moderated is a control measure for control freaks RTB Ponds 5 28-11-2006 09:37 PM
Ah! Spider! BIG Spider! The Ranger Edible Gardening 9 01-09-2005 03:20 AM
red spider mite control Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 10 11-09-2003 10:14 AM