Old 22-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Killing grass in newly tilled garden

20 years ago, I worked for two weeks removing grass from a new garden using
a fork and a number of custom-made implements of sifting and destruction. I
just had a 30x30 area tilled, and this time, I'm ready to try another way of
killing the grass that's mixed into the soil. The guy who tilled it did a
great job. He ran the tiller in various orientations until the sod was very
nicely chopped up. But, you KNOW some of it'll be back in April when I want
to plant lettuce.

So: I've seen a number of people mention spreading newspaper. Sheets of
plastic are easy, but the newspaper idea is fascinating. But, how's it kept
in place? Just toss soil on top of it? We're talking a lot of newspaper
here - I'd need lots of bricks. :-) I realize this is an unbelievably
simplistic question, but I have limited time this weekend. No time for
experiments, and I'd rather not use plastic if I don't have to.